Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

I know that my blog is almost always related to books, but I would be remiss to not mention and touch on the horrible things that are going on in the poor little country Haiti. I also am aware that there are much worse pictures out there than the one I posted above. To me though, I think that this picture shows what the entire country must be feeling. What would Americans do if they saw a picture like this of our White House? The World Trade Center is our current image of strife and heartache, and so I think that this image of the Haitian palace will be theirs. Bodies lined up on sidewalks as little children are walked by them because there is no where else to go. I was brought to tears as I watched a journalist who is also apparently a neurologist put down the microphone to work on a 15 day old baby who has now lost a mother and has a father that is so distraught he couldn't even leave the house to get her medical care.

I watch the news because I am amazed and appalled by all this destruction. I watch because it's the closest thing I can do to help. We have no money to give, and we surely are not trained or prepared to just go down to Haiti and help in anyway. So I sit in front of the t.v. and watch the news thinking as many good and positive thoughts as I can.

Say what you will about journalists but I am so thankful that they have the hearts to set down their microphones and pick up sick people and help them in anyway that they can.

I do hope that there is a book written about this tragedy someday, and am sure that there will be. And I hope that one of the biggest things mentioned is the fact that at night, as I just saw on CNN around a hundred men, with nothing else that they could do to raise any sort of moral during this extremely trying time, danced down the street chanting...

2 comments:

  1. I just sat down to write a small post on my blog about this. My heart goes out to Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally unrelated to this post, but I really like your A-Z reading challenge. I'm finally getting back to reading again. Just trying to do one a month. We'll see how long it lasts. You'll have to start recommending some books for me to put on my list. Some non-crime related ones. Trying to get out of the genre. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D