Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ooooh Books!



Ahhh, we all know the feeling, it's the biggest tiny thrill we book addicts can get. That day when something beautifully rectangular, hopefully wrapped well, and perfect, or even a little bit used and loved, shows up in the mailbox. Be it brand new from our favorite bookseller, or the beloved Paperbackswap, or even better than both, a surprise gift from a good friend, a book in the mail is a fun day in the making!


This week, I've had 3 fun days, with 3 separate books. I've been trying very hard to only accept books that are on my wish list when it comes to Paperbackswap. I have an extremely large wish list though, so I am lucky to have books come up to receive.

This week, it was The Quincunx by Charles Palinser, Cunt: A Declarion of Indpendence by Inga Muscio, and Afterlight by Elle Jasper.
The Quincunx has been on my wish list for so long now that I couldn't even remember why I was interested in it when PBS told me that it was available. After reading the description offered by Amazon.com I felt secure in pushing the 'Yes, please send me this book button'. It's a huge book, but it looks very interesting. I'm just wondering if I'll have time to get to it this year.
Cunt (sorry if the title offends, but it is the title) has also been on my wish list for quite some time. I'm usually not one for 'woman power' type of books, but this one has a very convincing title. There's actually one line from the back of the book that seriously intrigues me: "An ancient title of respect for women, the word "cunt" long ago veered off this noble path." I've never ever heard this before. Never. So I'm interested to see where this came from...what the author has to offer, and honestly, whether or not I could believe such a thing.
Afterlife was quickly put on the wishlist in a hurry...no idea how long ago now. But when it came up on my wishlist a pretty little lightbulb went off in my head saying "Oh! You girl, you just signed up for the iChallenges, in which you'll need to read quite a few vampy novels." and so the button was pushed!
I'm pretty psyched about all three of these books, two of which will be added to my reading list pretty quick this year!
Any good pre-Christmas books show up for any of my readers this week?
(P.s, Sorry about my paragraphs all running together, I've tried to fix it a million times and it's just not working.)

2 comments:

  1. I received an Bill Bryson book, the title escapes me right now from Paperback Swap. I am supposed to get the autobiography of Neil De Grass Tyson sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Cunt last year and I loved it. I read feminist blogs all the time, but this was the first book on feminism I had read. I don't always agree with her on her interpretations of certain issues, but I definitely love her spirit and humor. I hope you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D