Saturday, December 25, 2010

My Christmas : Disney Classics Vs. Romances


My Christmas was pretty good. Not perfect by any means, but quite good. This is the second year in a row I've received nothing bookish, but I did receive two flash drives filled with Disney Movies.

Of course, the first movie we watched was Beauty and the Beast. Just about every blogger I've ever read who talks about Disney movies says that Beauty and the Beast is their favorite. It's not my favorite, but it's up on the top five. My personal favorite is Mulan (You'd think it would be Alice in Wonderland, but sadly I find Alice a tad on the boring side). I must admit though, I am always awed when it comes to the library scene (as well as the many times that Gaston ruins Belle's book..)

While watching the movie I started thinking about the idea that Disney movies are the gateway drug to romance novels for little girls. It's not a far leap. They are pretty formulated, and often have the same ways of causing conflict, such as miscommunication or the heroine being forced into a situations she would normally hate.

So my question of the week...as that happens sometimes...is:

Do you enjoy Disney movies? If so, do you enjoy romance novels? Am I pulling this idea from nowhere, or is this an already discussed idea?

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy some Disney movies. My favorite being Sleeping Beauty. Most of them I don't really care for. As for romance novels, no, I don't enjoy them at all. At least not the mushy romance for romance sake kind. If it's a mystery, suspense and there is a bit of romance that has a real place in the story that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed most Disney movies, the exception being the ones where they tried to be realistic and didn't have a happy ever after ending. It might be formulaic but I expect to feel good when I watch a Disney movie ... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty and the Beast is one of my faves, but I think The Little Mermaid may be my top fave.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D