Saturday, August 7, 2010

Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Unleash the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon
ISBN: 978-0-312-93433-0
Pages: 334
Back of Book Description:

An orphan with no clan that will claim him, Wren Tigarian grew to adulthood under the close scrutiny and mistrust of those around him. A forbidden blend of two animals--snow leopard and white tiger--Wren has never listened to anyone when there was something he wanted. Now he wants Marguerite.

Marguerite D'Aubert Goudeau is the daughter of a prominent U.S. senator who hates the socialite life she's forced to live. Like her mother before her, she has strong Cajun roots that her father doesn't understand. Still, she has no choice but to try and conform to a world where she feels like an outsider. But the world of rich and powerful humans is never to meet the world of the Were-Hunters who exist side by side with them, unseen, unknown, undetected. To break this law is to call down a wrath of the highest order.

In Order to have Marguerite, Wren must fight not just the humans who will never accept his animal nature, but the Were-Hunters who want him dead for endangering their world. It's a race against time and magic without boundary that could cost Marguerite and Wren not just their lives, but their very souls...

My Rating: B+

My Review:

This being the first Kenyon book I've read that has received less than an A rating from me, I would like to start this review by saying that I wasn't exactly disappointed. I still loved this book, and still went through it like water because of the awesome story line. There were just many more parts that lacked in this particular book than in any others in the series.

I would like to start off my short list of grumblings with the fact that the storyline was much more convoluted than usual. The reasons for the climax weren't explained enough for me before I got to the climax itself. It was mentioned in passing, but not enough for me to feel that line was what was propelling the story. Obviously I realize that it's little to no fun knowing exactly why things are playing out the way they are. However, at the same time it's nice to have a small idea. Once we got to the great "AHA!" I spent more time going "Oh....it was that? How'd we get to that??"

I also felt that the ending was extremely confusing and I felt a little stupid for not understanding it. While I feel these books have great stories and the plot that keeps changing from book to book is great, but not necessarily confusing. I was completely baffled at the end of the book and have this want to write Ms. Kenyon and ask her to draw a picture for me so I understand. This is not to say that it didn't work...I just didn't understand it. If someone else read it and did, I'd gladly like it explained to me.

The characters in the book were wonderful and intriguing as always, and the newish character is getting even more interesting. Of course the last scene lead to an "ooooooo" from me and is keeping me up late at night, chomping at the bit to continue.

I think I'm just a little worried at this point that the books are becoming more of means to an end than anything else. I'm hoping that this is just one little fluke in the plan and that it will pick up and be great starting with the next book. Honestly, given the story line and Kenyon's ability to write a kick ass novel, I have high hopes that this is what is going to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Visiting you back for Friday Follow. Seem like we're both going through Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series. Though we have different opinions on a few of the books, it is nice to find someone else who likes the series.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D