Saturday, March 20, 2010


Well, it's Saturday night and I want to post, but I had to think of something to post about. Many of the blogs that I visitor host different activities on various days of the week. I'm sure many are doing something on Saturday's but I couldn't find something I truly was interested in. So I decided to start my own! That's how it's done now isn't it? So I'm starting It's Cover Time on Saturdays. You can add your link to your blog on this post so that I can visit and see what you had to say about different covers of books you enjoy, and I promise I will visit each and every one!

Don't judge a book by it's cover...right? But how does it catch your eye? The title itself is on the cover, and of course the title plays a big part in what catches a persons interest in a book. Cover art is also extremely important though. A book cover can be completely plain, like this one for All Families are Psychotic by Douglas Copeland, one of my favorite books of all time.
This cover is devoid of any art. It is so simple you feel an urge to pick it up and see if there's even an interesting name in the book, let alone plot. Which there is, and the plot was most wonderful!

But there are also extremely artful covers such as the cover of Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. Wicked Lovely has a beautiful cover...but what does it really clue you in on when it comes to what the book is about? Well...there's a girl..and a flower covered in frost. Is this intriguing? Really? I don't think so. But, because the book was beautifully decorated, I had to at least give it a chance.

My last example is of books that the cover tells you pretty much what you want to know. What the book is about, roughly, and if it's serious or funny and so on. The book I'm currently reading Pope Patrick by Peter De Rosa tells all of that on it's cover, or at least I think so. I didn't have to read the flap to know that this was a book, and by title and cover art, I knew it was about the Catholic church and a Pope that was not exactly what he was suppose to be.

Notice the dog? Well, if there's a dog sitting next to the Pope...this is doubtfully a serious book. And all the grumpy clergymen in the background? Well, they're unhappy about something, and since the Pope is smirking, I think it just might be him. This leads me to believe that if I'm in the mood for something that will make me giggle, this may just be the book for me.

So, tell me. What are your feelings on book covers. How much do they mean to you? Are you a romance reader? Do you get mad when the hero's eyes are brown but the cover model's are blue? What's your favorite book cover? Why?
I'm curious readers, I truly am. So tell me. Either post on your own blog and link back in a comment or just discuss it here, it's entirely up to you! Have a great rest of your Saturday!!

1 comment:

  1. I did end up starting a book cover blog. It is probably a break if someone likes my babble but not in big doses. So today was a booky type of day since I had a book post over here and I did my daily book cover post.

    They do tend to grab your attention. When I saw Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost I knew I had to read it because the cover was just so darn adorable. Luckily it turned out to be a great book and start of a series.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D