Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Weekly Geeks 2.18


Ahhh, Weekly Geeks again. It's such an enjoyable time!

This week we were asked to think of our favorite character names and tell why we like them and to try to find out what their names mean.

One of my favorite character names was Nora, short for Eleanor. I can't remember the title of the book that she was in, but I'm sure that it was a romance. Maybe The Husband Test by Betina Krahn. I enjoyed this because my boyfriends mom's name is Eleanor and I'd never thought of calling her Nora. I still don't, but I like the idea of it.

Eleanor is a Greek name by origin and means Pity.

One of my favorite characters of all time is Aziraphale from Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love Aziraphale because of his awesome innocence that is mixed somehow with this knowledge of the world that makes him a very complex character. Also he owns a antique book store and I want to own one myself one day.

Aziraphale means nothing...aparently. I looked it up and he doesn't have a definition, except for "A fictional Angel from Good Omens"

The characters names in the last book I finished, Highland Warrior, were Caitrina and Jaime. I loved these names for them and was very happy to read a romance where the hero had normal name.

Jaime means Supplanter and is Hebrew in origin.

I didn't find a definition for Caitrina as it was spelled in the book, but as Catrina it means Pure and is Greek in origin.

My name, Sharyla, has no meaning whatsoever. It was made up by my mother. My middle name, Lynn, is English and also has no meaning. It is probably derived from the name Linda.

So far the book I'm currently reading The Riven Kingdom by Karen Miller has a lot of unusal names in it. So far my favorite of them is Dexterity. I think that's a great idea for a name!

3 comments:

  1. that's such a great idea to do favorite names :) Really interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh it's so cool that your mom made up your name.

    I recently decided I like (nay, ADORE) the name Shane for a girl.

    Too bad I KNOW SOMEONE named Shane, so I can't use it in my novel. BOOGERS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post. Esepecially enjoyed reading what you hope your blog will become.
    Please stop by Color Online and check out newest feature, Shades of Love.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D