Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Rose of No Man's Land by Michelle Tea




Rose of No Man's Land by Michelle Tea
ISBN: 0-15-603093-4
Pages: 306
Back of Book Description:

Fourteen-year-old Trisha Driscoll is a gender-blurring self-described loner whose family expects nothing of her. While her mother lies on the couch in a hypochondriac haze and her sister aspires to be on The Real World, Trish struggles to find her own place among the neon signs, theme restaurants, and cookie-cutter chin stores of her hometown.

My Rating: C

My Review:

The back of the book description for this book really doesn't describe very much about the story.
Without giving too much away this book is a bit about self discovery and a lot about self destruction. If the author was trying to tell a story about finding out who you are, I hope she wasn't aiming toward the age group she wrote about. I'm not for censorship in anyway shape or form, but I must say that I wouldn't want my child to read this book and then do what the characters in the book say as a way to find herself.

The writing itself was exceptional. I could easily picture everything that happened in my head as if I was there, even though there were times when I didn't want to be.

I gave this book a C rating because I thought that there was just about no resolution at the end. I recommend this to those who are looking for a 'different' story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D