Friday, July 25, 2008

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell



The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Number Of Pages:
329
ISBN: 978-0-06-088718-6
Back Of Book Description:

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.

From
New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

My Rating: B+
The story of Uthred amazes me. The first night I opened the book, it took me in completely.
The many twists and turns kept me guess all the way to the end, and the historical facts were put in a way that made them interesting, not at all like I was being force fed history. To tell this story correctly, the author needed to do a lot of land description, but did it in a way that you didn't even really notice, it was just part of the story as it should be.

At time, it felt as if the characters were a little flat, and like the main character was very distant from the events affecting his life. Though the farther I got into the book, the more I realized why he was so distant.

All in all this was an excellent read, I can't wait to read the next two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D