Friday, July 25, 2008

The BFG by Roald Dahl


The BFG by Roald Dahl
Number Of Pages:
201
ISBN: 978-0-14-2410387-7
Back of Book Description:

The BFG is no ordinary bonecrunching giant. he is far too nice and jumbly. It's lucky for Sophie that he is. had she been carried off in the middle of the night by the Bloodbottler, the Fleshlumpeater, the Bonecruncher, or any of the other giants--rather than the BFG--she would have soon become breakfast. When Sophie hears that they are flush-bunking off to England to swollomp a few nice little chiddlers, she decides she must stop them once and for all. And the BFG is going to help her!

My Rating: A+
I first heard of The BFG when I was in fourth grade. It was read to my class by our teacher. I loved it then, and after seeing it on a list of 50 top children's books I knew I had to read it again!

I'm so glad I did. On top of being a wonderfully entertaining story, it's a much deeper tale than I remember as a child. The book contains illustrations, though, the writing is vivid enough that you don't need them. It teaches a lesson about a humanity, and making new friends.
If you're reading this to your child (Ages 8 and up, though I think it's good for 8 and below) and you live in the United States, there are some terms you may have to explain, as it's set in England and Giant Country.

This is a great book! A great pick me up for adults who love to read more depressing books and a great book for a parent and child to share together.

1 comment:

  1. The BFG was one of the few Dahl books that I've read. I love the illustrations and the story's really cute. :) But I really want to read Mathilda because I loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D