Friday, August 13, 2010

To Classic or not to Classic?


Hey everyone.

Recently while going through and reorganizing my bookshelves, I realized I have many more of 'the classics' than I thought I did! I have made sure to pick up any I saw that I didn't think I had over a couple of years time, and have amassed a collection that I'm actually quite proud of. Most of them, I haven't read. I love the idea of reading the classics like Dracula and The Three Musketeers, but when it comes to just sitting down and reading them, they tend to be just so dry and while I'm a quick reader, I tend to be no good when it comes to dialect.

Of the few classics I read in high school, I really only enjoyed a few. Lord of the Flies, A Seperate Peace, and Ethan Frome. I loved Ethan Frome. I don't know why I identified with the book at the time, but it really was one of my most favorite reads.

I've decided that after I'm done with the Dark-Hunter series, I'm going to start a new challenge of reading one book of modern times, and then one of the classic classification. This way I can get my classics that I've always wanted to read in, but at the same time, I can break them up with books that I know I'll be interested in.

I have a question for my readers. What is your favorite classic? Why?

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Dante's The Divine Comedy is my all time favorite classic. I was introduced to it back in my early college days. The book opened my eyes to classical study. Through my reading and study of it I learned there is so much more to reading; it taught me that books are to be looked at for a deeper meaning and that words can be used to bring about a better awareness to our world.
    Enjoy your reading of the classics; just remember some are better than others. I hated Ethan Frome; had to read it in High School. A Passage to India is another classic I never want to see again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. I saw your comment on my blog and came over to see yours. It's so great! I'm definitely going to follow you.

    You know, I'm really bad at dialect too. It drives me crazy. I usually end up getting so annoyed that I can't finish the book.
    Strangely, the classics you loved in school were some of the ones I didn't like. I loved 1984 and Brave New World, but hated Lord of the Flies. A Separate Peace is possibly my least favorite book in the world, aside from maybe Twilight. But I've been doing similar things with my reading habits. I've been mixing classics with fun reads. It's actually a nice way of doing things, I think. Right now I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's surprisingly readable. In fact, I think I like it even better than Pride and Prejudice. I also remember liking The Great Gatsby, Macbeth, and Frankenstein. One of my favorite books that we read in school was To Kill a Mockingbird, which will always be a classic in my eyes. For short stories, try The Most Dangerous Game, Occurrence at Owl Creek Bride, To Build a Fire, The Tell-Tell Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Birthmark. I do love a good short story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Tell-Tale Heart and The Cask of Amontillado. I'm not a huge short story fan really. My friend Sari loves a great short story, but they've just never been my thing. Though I read Flowers for Algernon recently and loved it! And by the way, this is the type of stuff I wanted my contest to bring, more comments. Thanks so much for being a person who reads beyond the contest. I truly truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D