Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
ISBN: 978-0-385-75153-7
Pages: 216
Back of Book Blurb:

If you start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy named Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.

Fences like this exist all over the world. We hope you never have to encounter one.

My Rating: B+

My Review:

First off, that is the best blurb ever. I just wanted to say that because more often than not I've found the blurb doesn't describe the book half as well as just asking someone about it. But that blurb makes this book seem unbelievably intriguing.
Now for the review of the actual book.

I have to say, when I first picked up the book, I looked at the font, the length and said "Oh, well this will only take a day or two" It ended up taking me months to finish it. The first 50 pages or so were not grabbing me. I kept reading but then along the way left the book in someones car. I got it back a week later, but had already moved on. I wasn't too disappointed that I had started something else, and didn't feel the need to pick it up again any time soon.

Just a couple weeks ago, I decided I wanted to see the movie, but had to finish the book first. So I took it to work with me and that's when I really got into the book.

The emotions that this book stirs are amazing. The simplistic verse is awesome. I enjoyed just being able to go at my own pace. I didn't feel rushed by the author to get to the end. It was as if I really was moseying along with Bruno.

Bruno's relationship with Shmuel is hard to explain. They are on such different levels it's hard to believe how well they bonded, but the author really got it there. There are events that happen in both boy's lives that I thought might hurt their bond, but somehow Mr. Boyne wrote the story in a way that said events brought the boys closer together.

I'm not going to talk about the ending...I'll just say that. Wow. I was extremely surprised and quite honestly didn't foresee it at all.

And yes, I did try to watch the movie. Twenty minutes in, I turned it off. I just couldn't get into it. Not near as good as the book.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I will be reading your review of this book tomorrow (my eyes are exhausted right now, lol). LOVE your blog, just became a follower :D

    ♥ Vanessa ♥
    Book ♥ Soulmates

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely watch a movie after I've read the book - it ususlly doesn't live up to it. I enjoyed John Boyne's retake on Mutiny on the Bounty.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D