Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler
ISBN: 978-1-58234-618-2
Pages: 213
Back of Book Description:

Meet Chelsea Handler. Gorgeous, sharp, and anything but shy, Chelsea loves men...lots of them. In this raucous collection of true-life stories, she chronicles her romp through the bedrooms of a variety of suitors. My Horizontal Life is a fearless account of what can happen between a man and a sometimes very intoxicated, outgoing woman during one night of passion.

From her short fling with a Vegas stripper to her even shorter dalliance with a well-endowed little person, from her uncomfortable tryst with a cruise ship performer to her misguided rebound with a man who likes to play leather dress-up, Chelsea recalls the highs and lows of her one-night stands with hilarious honesty. My Horizontal Life is one guilty pleasure you won't be ashamed to talk about in the morning.

My Rating: A
My Review:

What I particularly enjoyed about this collection was not that it was hilarious, which at most times it was, but that it actually showed growth. Chelsea's stories seem very base on the surface, a mere collection of romps in bed with many men. As you read on though, you find that it's also about the growth of her relationships with her friends, her random partners, and the growth within herself.

Now, I'm not saying that mothers should go buy this for their daughters as a coming of age present. I am saying that women should read this book. Women who are like Chelsea, who find themselves wanting to rebel against some of the more natural settling down feelings that we get as our 'clock' starts ticking.

I will have to admit that while I found this book to be deeper than Are You There Vodka? It was a bit less funny. I remember sitting and just laughing my butt off when I read Are You There Vodka? I laughed out loud a few times while reading My Horizontal Life, but not near as much. I do recommend this book as a lighter read, but expect to get something more from it, just in a different way than you are use to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D