Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thirty Nights With A Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue


Photobucket
Thirty Nights With A Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue
ISBN: 978-1-4165-3286-6
Pages: 356
Back of Book Description:

Scotland, 1272. Connor MacKiernan, a descendant of the Fae Prince, is a warrior who lives only for honor and duty. Though he's vowed never to marry, that's exactly what he must do to save his sister.  Enter a little Faerie magic, and the search for a bride is on.

Denver, 2007. Caitlyn Coryell is having a really bad day--she just discovered her fiance with another woman! Imagine her surprise when she puts on some sexy lingerie and an antique pendant and Connor appears in her bedroom, begging for her help.  He offers a simple yet outrageous adventure:  travel to his time, marry him, and return home.

But nothing's simple when Cate is trapped in the thirteenth century. The wedding's delayed, someone's trying to kill her, and in the middle of all of this she realizes she's falling in love with a man who can only be her husband for thirty nights.

My Rating: A

My Review: A

This is a great love story! I fell in love with these characters quickly, especially the hero. The author really brought her world to life and used an interesting legend to help the story along. All of the secondary characters were interesting and easy to care about.

I did have issues with about the last twenty pages of plot. Some was too lightly explained and I felt that one thing wasn't explained at all. I loved the writing though and the story, so I can handle the short comings. I recommend this to those of you who like Sandra Hill and Karen Marie Moning's time travel. I can't wait to read the rest of Miss Mayhue's work.


3 comments:

  1. Melange ~

    Thank you so much for the lovely review! [and for letting me know you'd posted it!] I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the book -- I hope you'll like the rest of the series equally well.

    But... your post does have me curious now! :-) Which part of the ending did you think was left unexplained? [I'm always trying to see what I can do better in my books!]

    ~ Melissa
    www.MelissaMayhue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Melissa.
    First thank you so much for checking out my blog! I can't tell you how exciting it is for an author to take the time to stop by.

    I thought that everyone in the end took the traveling in time a bit too well. Cate's brothers and Robert. But, I did love what they ended up doing when they got back to our time. The other thing was that I didn't get how the things that Blane had been doing through out the book were things that were trying to be helpful. I did understand Lyal's motives, but not Blane's.

    Again, let me say that I absolutely loved the book! I can't wait to read more!!

    -Sharyla- AKA Melange

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... Fair enough. You raise good points.

    Blane did the things he did in an attempt to keep Cate alive. Now, don't get me wrong...Blane wasn't the best of men to start with! [In fact -- he was originally written to be one of the bad guys...but he just wouldn't cooperate!] As a result, his choices weren't those of a 'hero' in that first book.

    He does recognize his errors and he mellows over time. :-) You can see how he's aged for yourself in the third book in the series, SOUL OF A HIGHLANDER. Oh! He shows up in the fourth book as well! But, you'll have to wait until January 27, 2009 to see him in A HIGHLANDER OF HER OWN.... unless, of course, you visit my website and enter one of the THREE contests I'm having to win an Advance Readers Copy of that book!
    ;-)

    As far as the time traveling ... well, keep in mind that many of the characters in that first book have lived with the Faerie Magic their whole lives, so, they've learned to accept the unexpected... Not all characters in the later books accept the magic quite so easily!

    ~ Melissa
    www.MelissaMayhue.com

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please feel free to tell us anything we make you want to say!! :D